Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Adversity is God's University

I was picking up some dry cleaning this week and Ann Wade shared this quotable quote. It got me thinking.
Adversity is God's University
What was my GPA at this university?
Romans 5:3-5 says, "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that sufferings produces perseverance; perseverance, character, and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us."
If it is true that we learn more out of our adversities than our blessings, why do I resent adversities so much? Because it's HARD!! and usually, it HURTS!! But one thing that I have learned through the adversities in my life is that when I walk through the walls of that university, I usually come out a better person; more
compassionate, more forgiving, less prideful, and hopefully a little more like my Jesus!

I still have a lot to learn in this class, but what I am learning is changing the way I look at and care for people.
  • I'm learning that "perfect" people hide broken hearts; that broken people share another's pain. 
  • I'm learning that we all struggle and we all need a friend, sometimes more than other times. I'm learning to listen to people's heart instead of just their words. 
  • I'm learning that bad things happen to good people, and they are more compassionate for it.
  • And most importantly for me, I have learned that Adversity will always be for His glory and our good, ALWAYS!!

Adversity is God’s University. I have no idea when I might graduate from this university or what I may graduate with, but I look forward to the day in hopes that the Dean will be pleased. 

1 comment:

MOM said...

I agree with this and have found throughout my years that there are a lot of people hurting and need to share it with someone they can trust. Not fearful of being rejected is a big reason to hold back sharing from the heart.